News & Media
Alumni Association Honors 2017 Spartans of Promise
The UNCG Alumni Association has announced the 2017 Spartans of Promise, a diverse group of 10 outstanding seniors who have excelled in both academics and service.
Award recipients were recognized at the Alumni of Distinction Awards Dinner – a signature Homecoming event – on Oct. 19, and will be invited to participate and network at UNCG Alumni Association events throughout the year.
“We are so excited that the Spartans of Promise recognition has become such an important honor over the past four years,” said Mary Landers, director of alumni engagement. “To receive such tremendous applications from involved and committed seniors is what this award truly represents. These students are the next generation of community leaders, and that makes all of us stand proud.”
The 2017 Spartans of Promise are:
- Hitam “Sam” Alsharif of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Biology
- Ciara Gazaway of Apex, North Carolina, Human Development and Family Studies
- Qua’-Shaun Henning of Raleigh, North Carolina, Elementary Education
- Payton McGarry of Wilson, North Carolina, Economics
- Robert Rose of Denver, North Carolina, Art Education
- Ashley Sanchez of Kernersville, North Carolina, Kinesiology
- Alexander Smith of High Point, North Carolina, Economics
- Michaela Stovall of Albemarle, North Carolina, Elementary Education
- Shameeka Wilson of Wilmington, North Carolina, K-12 Deaf and Hard of Hearing Teacher Preparation
- Mackenzie Winslow of Mooresville, North Carolina, Business Administration
The recipients were selected by an esteemed alumni panel that includes members of the UNCG Board of Trustees, the GOLD (Graduates of the Last Decade) Council, and the UNCG Alumni Association Board of Directors. The annual award is supported by the UNCG Alumni Association and creates a unique connection between students and alumni.
For more information about the Alumni Association and how to get involved, visit alumni.uncg.edu.